Ruins Hidden Under Phoenix's Streets
The lot used to be the Hohokam fire station and now a Fry's will occupy the space. The digging for the store unearthed brick structures and ceramic pottery shards. They figured that the land was once lived on by the Hohokam people over 1,300 years ago. Today the Hohokam are known as the Pima Tribe.
The initial Phoenix fire house was constructed on that spot in 1894. It was torn down in 1915 and a fresh new fire house was erected in its place. In 1953, that building was demoed and the property stood vacant for years until the recent development.