Historic Downtown Payson
Located in the northern part of Gila County is the town of Payson, Arizona. Because of where it is located in the state, it has been christened “The Heart of Arizona”. Payson was established in 1882 and was first identified as Green Valley. Two years later in March, a post office was erected with the assistance of Lewis Edwin Payson. The people showed their gratitude by changing the town’s name to Payson. Also that same year, the first rodeo was held and deemed the “world’s oldest continuous”. It is still held in Payson till this day. In the 1950’s, after many complained about the trip from Phoenix to Payson taking eight to twelve hours, a new paved highway was constructed. State Route 87 (or the Beeline Highway), made travel quicker and easier for those wanted to get away from the heat of the valley to the gorgeous, serine forests in Payson.
FIRST JUSTICE OF THE PEACE OFFICE & THE STEWART RESTAURANT
TAMMY HALL & HARRISON'S GARAGE
PIEPER MANSION & SIDLES MUD HOUSE