Fairbank Historic Town Site
By 1889, Fairbank had five saloons, a meat market, general store, grocery, three restaurants, a hotel, a Wells Fargo Office, livery stables, train and stage depots, a school, post office and many residents’ houses. The town quickly grew with a transportation center and a large Chinese immigrant population who grew vegetables for Fairbank and surrounding communities.Fairbank thrived even after Tombstone’s mines flooded and a major earthquake in 1887. It continued to be the place where transportation was still the focal point for the southwest until the price of copper dropped. When the mines and railroad traffic diminished, in 1944 they closed the school. By the 1960’s the Southern Pacific Railroad ceased the run to the Fairbank Station and in 1967 the Depot was taken down. By the mid 1970’s, the last of Fairbank residents left the town for good.